Friday, October 31, 2008

Personal Madness

I'm in love!

I had lunch yesterday with a friend and during our little post-prandial stroll we wandered into the Michael Kors store, where my friend pointed to this little number and said, "That's so you."




Wow. Really? I am a cheetah-print pencil skirt? Hot damn! I might not have put it that way myself, but it sure did appeal. I love animal print. I love pencil skirts. And I luh-huh-HUHVE me some Michael Kors, whose whole "Mad Men" sensibility this season is speaking irresistible words of love in the ears of not only me but all kinds of women all over the place, based on an unscientific survey of blog sites, fashion magazines, and store windows. Another great thing about this skirt was that it comes from the "MICHAEL Michael Kors" spectrum of Kors' fashion empire, which makes it terrifically affordable. So I was tempted by the skirt, but I was good -- I put it down, I didn't even try it on, and I went on my merry way.

Until a few hours later, where after running several decidedly UNglamorous errands and a long argument with myself, I headed back to the store and tried it on. The good news is that it fit me like it was made for me. It does amazing things for my backside, I gotta tell ya. The bad news was that that meant I pretty much had to buy it, because I could tell I was going to regret it for life if I didn't.

Last night I was attending a cocktail event whose invitation had specified "Business Attire." Well, bah humbug to that! What's the point of having a party if you aren't going to dress up? Of course, if one is planning to spend the evening in a roomful of suits, one's brand-new, STILL-unworn sequined dress is probably a bit overkill (DANGIT! Someone invite me to a fancy party!!!), but that doesn't mean you have to throw in the towel entirely. So here's how I played it.



Cashmere t-shirt and boyfriend cardi (not a set, but coincidentally and miraculously the same color, so they can be worn as one), black leather belt and beloved Red Quasar Stuart Weitzman pumps. I went easy on the jewelry, just a great bracelet -- the skirt is ornamental enough and I didn't want things to get too busy. I am also wearing Ormonde Jayne Tolu, which is my perfect cheetah-print pencil skirt perfume. I think it was a great outfit, and I was one of about six women in a roomful of hundreds of people who wasn't wearing black. (Which is why I always have such mixed feelings about the LBD.)

At any rate, I can tell you this skirt is going to pay for itself in wearings pretty quickly. It's a nice heavy cotton with just a trifle of stretch in it, so I'm going to be able to wear it year 'round. It's going to look as marvelous with a pair of boots as it does with the pumps, and I love pairing leopard print with a bright color like red. (Or purple!) Laugh all you want, but this is going to be one of the most versatile pieces in my closet, I can tell.

What's really brilliant about this skirt? It comes in regular sizes, Plus Sizes AND petites! Hallelujah and thank you, Michael Kors!!

I was thrilled with my new outfit, and felt very sexy secretary all night. The only thing I was missing?

Photobucket

Meow, indeed.


Have a great weekend, everyone, and a safe and happy Halloween!!!


PS... I've been tagged. Twice. I know, I know, it's taking me forever. I'm working on it, I promise!


Photo: GQ.com








Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Susan B said...

Gosh darn it, you're making me want one now too!

You look fabulous BTW...très Modern Joan!

Jen said...

Awesome outfit! Love it with the red pumps. You look mah-velous!

carmencanada /Grain de Musc said...

Oh yes. Want. I have my leopard moment. In fact, all my cushions and a full meridienne in my living room are leopard prints.
And yes, my dear: tag, tag, tag!

materfamilias said...

That looks so fabulous, especially the way you've styled it. very va-va-voom but subtle-sophisticated.