Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Wherein Style Spy Goes Green

Maybe it's our newfound eco-consciousness, or maybe it's just that people always hurry to imitate whatever they perceive might be successful or popular, but I've been noticing a lot of green shoes lately.


It started with the above stunning thing by Versace, which I saw in the February issue of Bazaar. They left me a little breathless, and I can't stop thinking about them now. This color in general seems to be happening a lot this spring. It's not quite emerald, not exactly kelly -- there's a tiny bit of blue in it but it's not teal or aqua... I dunno. Whatever the heck the people at Pantone might call it, I like it.

Of course, being that these shoes are going for a cool $784 (784. Why 784? 783 -- not quite enough. 785 -- no one would pay that! 784 -- aaaaahhh, just right! Who decided this, Millionaire Goldilocks?), they won't be coming to live with me any time soon. And I'll take a moment here to point out that the falling dollar is really starting to do a number on us -- I'm noticing some pretty aggressive price creep on European goods. Time was, you didn't see a price tag over $700 unless the shoe was made of an exotic skin or had some very special detailing like Swarovski crystals or some such. These are lovely, but they're patent leather. When people start asking almost 8 benjies for a patent leather day shoe, we are in trouble, my friends.

So I went to see what I could find in the way of green shoes on the Series of Tubes, and here's what I stumbled across. (For some reason -- I must have been stupider than usual while I was doing it -- the linkage situation for this post gave me fits. If there's a text link in the caption of the photo, use that. Otherwise, clicking on the photos should do the trick. Let me know if it doesn't.)

Women: Etienne Aigner Livia - Kelly green

Great little flats. Would certainly brighten up the workplace, or the errand-running.


green shoes

Funky chunky wedges at shopbop.com


Nine West really loved this color this season, they have tons of great stuff in it.
Photobucket

Nine West Women's Favorly Sandal

Just a bit of glitz, and with a mid-height heel for those who want dressy without a stiletto.



green shoes

Nine West Women's Luxious Sandal

Hot-cha!! White silk blouse, black pencil skirt, these shoes, aaaaaand... poof!!! Instant man trap!


green shoes
Nine West Women's Hotpic T-Strap Sandal

Really intrigued by these. Want to pair them up with a loose structured top, something sort of boxy and Marni-esque, and a pair of skinny pants that stop right at the ankle


green shoes

Nine West Women's Justino Sandal

Trés glam, lots of sparkly, and a lovely t-strap to keep your pretty shoes on your pretty feet!



green shoes

Nine West Women's Dayglow Sandal

Would go with everything -- you could make this a day sandal or an evening one.


green shoes


Luichiny Women's Duchess Sandal

Love the bows on the back. So femme.




green shoes

Pour La Victoire Women's Penelope Lace-up Pump

Shoe booties are still a big deal, and this one is a nice break from the ubiquitous black.
Women: Dolce Vita Moritz-37 - Pop green


Another great flat. They beg for a summer dress, preferably something with flowers.

green shoes
Sexy, sexy Hollywould at www.Heels.com. These shoes need to be taken salsa dancing, accompanied by a margarita at all times.



green shoes

Bee-yoo-tee-full suede wedges at shopbop.com. This color makes me drool a little bit.


green shoes


Fun & funky Chie Mihara at shopbop.com



Women: Franco Sarto Fashion - Avocado patent

Another great wedge, at a great price.


green shoes
Nine West Women's Falcoin Sandal

Another great mid-heel sandal. Slings are always elegant. They extend the line of the leg because no straps cut across the middle of the foot.


So there ya go! Plenty of green shoes to tickle your fancy. There's lots more of 'em out there, these are just some of what I found. C'mon, it's almost spring! What better way to meet the green-up that with shoes that celebrate it?


Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Poochie said...

I got a great pair of bright green Jimmy Choo's on sale in the Fall. I haven't had a chance to wear them yet. Some of those Nine West ones are really great. It feels like they've turned things around over there, doesn't it?

Luv
Poochie

La Belette Rouge said...

I am green with envy!! I want those Versace pumps. They are so pretty. I only have one pair of green shoes. They are a JCrew pair of a deep lime suede penny loafers. I think I need another pair--after all, they are good for the environment ;-)

Alexandra said...

I have a pair of gorgeous green wedges I wore almost constantly last summer. Looking forward to doing the same this summer...
Those Nine West shoes definitely made me want to go visit the store now...

Claudia said...

You're right - that is a very hard-to-define colour. What to call it? Clover? Darkish Mint? Arrgghh, it's driving me crazy! As are all those gorgeous shoes - thanks for the drool, Aim!

Jen said...

I got a pair of the Stuart Weiztman slipper flats in the lime green that i love, but have a tough time trying to figure out what to wear with them... So far I've stuck with neutrals, but I love the way they compliment the skin tone on my feet. :)