Friday, April 30, 2010

Pretty for Friday -- Something Different

I totally ganked this photo from Scott Schuman. This isn't my usual Pretty for Friday kinda thing, but I just love lovety loveloveLOVE the way this man looks. He is not only dapper, he is jaunty.



This is what the best kind of dressing can do -- it not only tells you something about his closet, it tells you something about him. Something good. I'd be shocked to talk to this man and discover that he didn't have a terrific sense of humor. Obviously, he has a highly-developed appreciation for aesthetics, which must certainly apply to all areas of his life -- this is a guy I could talk about art with. And self-confidence: this is a Japanese man wearing pink socks. That's not the M.O. of a shrinking violet. What this man is wearing makes me want to meet him and know him.

You know who I didn't want to meet? The schlubby, wrinkled, unshaven, bed-headed (and not in a hipster, on-purpose sort of way), flipflop-and-unpressed-cargo-shorts-wearing young man sciffscuffing across a parking lot wearing, in what could be some sort of genius statement of irony if it had been intentional but I assure you was not, a t-shirt that read, "GROOM." What his clothes said to me were: lazy, slovenly, probably has dirty dishes on the floor next to his couch (or did until he found some desperate girl to wear the "BRIDE" t-shirt), plays a LOT of video games, inarticulate, will indulge in overgrown frat-boy behavior well into his 50s and beyond. Might he be writing the next Great American Novel at home? Maybe. I will never know. Because his appearance repelled me like a force field.

I'm done apologizing for caring about the way things look. Appearances are important. If they weren't, we wouldn't have peacocks or hibiscus flowers. I freely admit that I fall further on the edge of this bell curve than most people, but I'm okay with that. I am going to keep beating this drum. I'm determined to be a Fashion Johnny Appleseed -- spreading seeds of style wherever I go.

Spread a little style this weekend, and have a great one!


Photo: Sartorialist.com

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Susan B said...

Hear, hear!

As I read somewhere recently (paraphrasing), "not caring about your appearance is still making a statement *with* your appearance."

Editor said...

He looks like he might stand up suddenly and break out the "jazz hands!" It is a good picture- a lot of personality coming through.

materfamilias said...

While I never complained when you weren't posting (well, maybe a private grumble or three . . .), I'm so glad you're back. I love your attitude, not to mention your exemplary style and your lively writing. Absolutely agree with you about caring how we appear to others and how that reflects our personalities.

Claudia said...

That's one fancy dude. I just love his style.

Fritinancy said...

Perhaps "GROOM" was intended as an imperative verb, the equivalent of a memo to self.

Toby Wollin said...

Why is it I feel that just off camera is someone holding his martini? And a jaunty hat, too, with a pink hatband on it.

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post! One of my favorite fashion quotes has to do with the fact that if you are immaculately groomed, you can forget about that part of yourself and be your charming best self. With confidence! The happy glow on this gentleman's face makes me want to step up my fashion game!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a mother with several teenage daughters shuffling their slippered feet down the grocery store aisles. All of them are in pajamas. This is SO very offensive to me. I bothered to put clothes on this morning--will you people please do the same?? Perhaps this is just a problem here in Utah?
Anyway, so glad you're back, Style Spy! You rock!
Carolyn in Salt Lake City

vee said...

"Appearances are important. If they weren't, we wouldn't have peacocks or hibiscus flowers."

I just quoted you on my FB. Because it is so true.

Now I must go shopping...

Carol said...

I spent much of yesterday clearing out the winter clothes and re-vamping the spring/summer stuff. Much inspired by your blog and a few others, I was ruthless in populating the "Give" box with things that do not thrill me or express me in some way. Hopefully I can convey a bit more of my personality through new choices. And yes, I get "dressed" every day. Much more than most of my coworkers, sadly.

Liberty London Girl said...

Jaunty is SUCH a gd word! LLGxx

Kearea' said...

with age i have realized that the notion of how you present yourself to others is a reflection of how you feel about yourself is so very true. and with age ive realized that the ones who don't agree tend to feel insecure about their appearance