Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Yelling at Me Won't Help

I've received a couple of comments over the last two days that were so compelling I decided I needed to share them with the whole class:

From yesterday:
"You know, I have followed your blog regularly for about two years. You haven't updated for almost a month, and I'm just about to take you off my favorites list. Perhaps that doesn't matter to you, but it seems like you've invested yourself in this blog, and I thought you would want to know that one of your loyal readers has just about had it."

And then today:
"Look, I love your blog, and have followed it for years, but if you don't start updating more regularly, I'm going to remove you from my favorites and stop checking regularly. It's been FOUR weeks since you updated, and it's awful to find the same post 28 times."

Of course, my first instinct was to think, "Yes, by all means, remove me from your favorites list, sourpuss. I'm perfectly fine with that." Instead I've decided to take the attitude that it is flattering to know that someone enjoys this blog so much that it's causing her this much distress that I haven't been posting much lately.

For those of you who've noticed my absence and have had the good manners NOT to throw a temper tantrum about it, I apologize. It's not because I don't enjoy the blog or value my readers. But life, as all grown-ups know, happens. Jobs happen, injuries & illness happen, family situations happen, all kinds of things happen. There are only so many hours in the day and we all have to prioritize. Since I make exactly $0.00 per month writing this blog, I'm afraid it's slipped down the priorities list at present. Any post that I feel good about putting up takes me a minimum of three hours work, and just at this moment, those hours need to be claimed by other things. I'm sorry if that disappoints anyone, although I'm hard pressed to understand why it would offend or upset anyone.

I haven't abandoned the blog, but I guess I have to say I'm on a bit of a hiatus at present. I hope anyone who enjoys visiting here will rejoin me when it ends. If you don't, I'll certainly understand.

Best,
Amy

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fritinancy said...

Yours is one of the few blogs I subscribe to that's worth waiting for. Take your time and take care--I'll keep the porch light on.

JenK said...

Whoa, those are some dang bossy comments.

This is one reader who is not offended or upset. Lord knows my life has been insane lately; I just assume everyone else's is too.

I am disappointed in the lack of new posts and I mean that in the most complimentary way. Do you have any idea how FEW fashion blogs are aimed at the 30+ demo? Maybe I'm missing out on some hidden gems, but I can count less than a handful.

I really enjoy your blog because it seems targeted towards my late 30s, girly (but never prissy) Texas-gal self. I eagerly await your return, dear Style Spy.

Denise said...

I've noticed the less frequent posts, but I sort of assumed exactly what you wrote was going on. I've missed you and the posts, but the comments you've received are one of the things I think are such a drag about blogs, much as I love them. People think you owe them something, and that's just not true.

I'm looking forward to more of your posts, whenever you see fit to write them. Till then, take care.

Carol said...

Deal with your "stuff" and come back soon. We miss you.

laura512 said...

Lordy.

I hope all of your busy is good busy. Come back when you can.

Madame Suggia said...

As said above, when you're not posting quite so frequently I just assume that you have other stuff to do. Like, real life, can't be ignored, really have to do this stuff. So take your time, do what you need to do then come back. Personally, I think you're worth the wait.

Belle de Ville said...

I agree with Fritinancy. Take your time, your writing is worth the wait.
I also devote 2 hours a day to blogging, for which I get paid zero, in addition to a full time job. One of these days I would like to cut down on the blogging and get a life.

Frances said...

Style Spy, I don't need to say this but I'll say it anyway.

You don't owe anybody anything. You write a fantastic, entertaining and educational (yes, educational) blog. You do it for free. No one except your employers has any claim on your time so you can just tell 'em where to go!

I love your blog. I read it everyday. Even when you don't update, because there is such a wealth of information and fun in the archives. Some of the older pictures have disappeared due to Photobucket's policies but lemme tell you: I still read and enjoy those posts. Only you could make fashion writing fun without the pictures. And that is some skill!

So to summarise, I'm very appreciative of everything you do on this blog and I just wanted to tell you that.

Cheers and best love

Frances

kelly said...

you take ALLLL the time you need. We miss you, but we understand

Karen Minturn Brown said...

I enjoy your posts and have missed seeing new material, but I really don't think anyone is entitled to your output. Do what you need to, come back when you can. I'll be out here...

Anonymous said...

I miss it when you don't blog, but life comes first.

So, I hope things are going well for you and I'll be waiting when you're back!

Christine

Stefani Sarah said...

I hope those two nasty comments are the only nasty comments you've been getting due to your hiatus. I think they're not appropriate at all.

dana said...

Goodness, how rude. I now feel a little like I'm channeling Duchesse. Anyway, my only thoughts have been, I hope Style's ok, and I'll be excited when she's able to post again. Take care.

Maravonda said...

I didn't get annoyed, but have missed your posts. You have always helped me to know what is current and I enjoy your take on things. So I will watch and wait, and will be Most Pleased when you have more time. I hope you shoulder feels better soon...I have a torn rotator cuff that I nearly had surgery on, but at that time, as a nurse, I was seeing a lot of iffy surgical outcomes all over the place (no specific doc or group, just a lot of botched shoulders). So I watched and waited and now have no pain at all and almost complete range of motion, would probably even correct that if I would just exercise. Anyway, good luck with it, and I guess it is kind of flattering that people miss you, although I should think there would be better ways to say so!

Mardel said...

We all get busy. I love it when you post. Your posts obviously take effort and are worth waiting for. I'll still be up, so take your time.

vee said...

We love you, take care of yourself, don't worry about the blog. We'll be here when you get back!

Jo said...

Dude, I don't care if you post twice a day or twice a year: it's your business, and I'm thankful for what you *do* post. I've been meaning to say that for a week now and have just gotten 'round to it.

Normally, I'm found over at Manolo for the Big Girl. Your picks may fit my perfect image of myself more than they do current reality, but I'm always thankful that you weed through the crap and spend the energy to show us good stuff.

Thank you.

Mindy said...

I removed my comment because I didn't preview before hitting the comment button. It was poorly written and it was driving me nuts. Anyway, whenever you post is fine with me. I enjoy your blog immensely.