Monday, October 5, 2009

When to Say When

It's one of the eternal questions. Why are we here? Where did we come from? What is the meaning of life?



How many black cardigans is too many black cardigans?

I would like to be able to tell you that I have accumulated this fairly impressive collection of inky knitwear accidentally -- that I keep forgetting I already have black cardigans at home and in episode after episode of early-onset Fashion Alzheimer's I keep buying them, like my dearly departed Grandma Stella did with boxes of band-aids (we discovered dozens of them in her bathroom cabinet after her death); but I have no such excuse. As a matter of fact, with occasional very rare exceptions I have a pretty accurate wardrobe tracker in my head. No, I've done this on purpose.

They're all different, of course. It's like the white blouses: they come in so handy, you really can't have too many of them, they're a go-to item that you have for ages, and each one has some variation in design or fiber that makes it perfect in a different way. A gal needs options, doesn't she? Like the White Blouse Collection, the Black Cardigan Collection is justified. Each of these items is slightly different from the others and each serves a specific purpose. Let's explore, shall we?



From left to right:
The first one is the newest (tag still attached, as you can see). Superfine super-soft merino wool, very long (to my knees) & slouchy. I'm very into slouchy right now. Next, wool/cashmere blend, made like a grandpa cardigan. Heavyweight and very cozy, good for when it's really chilly. Next, two-ply cashmere, crew-neck. Next, two-ply cashmere, v-neck. This one is quite fitted, I often wear it as a top without a shirt underneath it. Next, short-sleeved cashmere with fox collar. Next, cotton knit with white tipped collar and placket. Lastly, cotton baby cable.

Okay, well, not exactly lastly. After I took that photo & was putting them back in their sweater bags and drawers (because I hasten to reassure you that I do NOT hang my sweaters and I beg you will not, either), I remembered these:



The one of the left is a boiled wool sweater coat with embroidery, and the other sweater coat is big and chunky and soooo soft, it's like a bathrobe.

So.

I have a lot of black cardigans.

I feel no regret about any of my black cardis -- like I said before, I get a lot of wear out of them and it's good to always have just the thing. As a matter of fact, I've misplaced one -- the short-sleeved Banana Republic one that I bought a couple of summers ago that I fell very in love with, and I'm pretty pissed about it. I really miss that thing. But I think I may call a black cardi moratorium for the foreseeable future. I think now is when to say when.

How about you guys? What do you have multiples (or even too many) of?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Pearl Westwood said...

In my opinion you can never ahve too much of anything! My 'too much' item would be Westwood tee-shirts and jeans!
Pearl
http://fashionpearlsofwisdom.blogspot.com/

Susan B said...

A woman after my own heart! I also have several black cardis, and find that I wear them all. My other "frequent flyer/can't get enough" item is jeans. I have several pair in different styles, colors and washes.

Anonymous said...

You can never go wrong with black!!!

Best regards,

TAILORED SOCIETY

materfamilias said...

I have five or six black cardigans (who needs precise numbers!), multiples in jeans, and perhaps a dark pencil skirt too many. I know I have more coats than one woman needs, but, as my mom said once about her shoes, buying additional ones makes the others last longer!

Anonymous said...

I have about 20-25 Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts. They just fit me very well! I have about five in white and two in black, and I'm always hankering after more.

Thumbelina Fashionista said...

Ha ha I have the same exact problem. Too many black sweaters. Too many black jackets (and yet I feel like I don't have enough). Jeans. Necklaces. I guess I am a repeat offender.

P.S. I just posted about a new YSL piece I just got. Thought you might be interested as a fellow lover of all things YSL. Tell me what you think.

JenK said...

I have the same problem with black blouses and hoop earrings and I am entirely unapologetic about it.

Dana (MODAna) said...

deliciously simple.
Cardigans are a staple for me too, in an assortment of colors. They easily keep me warm whilst making whatever I'm wearing just a bit more casual.

Belle de Ville said...

Black cardigans are a wardrobe staple so I have a few in my closet. I have more than a few pairs of black shoes.

WendyB said...

I've got a LOT of jackets. But all very different. Still, I've decided to only get more if they are very special.

Kristen said...

Hee, this is great. I am rebuilding my wardrobe this year and I am making a conscious effort not to go overboard on any one fall-back piece. But I want more black sweaters and dresses soooooo badly!

Someone said...

That embroidered coat is gawjus!!

It's funny that although my wardrobe has been black-based since high school, I only have about 3 black cardis and 2 of those are really tops. But....apparently I have a black blouse/shirt wardrobe. 2 with different metallic silver pinstripes, one with metallic gold, one with white pinstripes, one with black embroidered star/flower thingys, one with sheer striping that zips...it goes on. This wasn't as intentional as your cardi collection...hrm...

The Starving Stylist said...

I love my black cardigans so theres nothing ever wrong for having too many!

www.thestarvingstylist.com