Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Make Your Weakness Your Strength


Years ago when I was still an actor-type doing a lot of improv, that was a common refrain from a director I often worked with: "Make your weakness your strength!" He was a good director and it was great advice -- as an actor and as a human. Look at whatever problem you're having and see if you can't solve it by working with whatever is already in your toolbox, instead of searching for an outside solution. Or take something that you view as a shortcoming and see if there isn't something about it that you can turn to a positive. It's something I still use with some frequency today; if you know me well you've probably heard me say it. I use it as a lifeskills mantra (oh, do forgive my psych-speak) and often as a fashion philosophy as well. For example -- I have a (much)smaller-than-average bust. This can be a disadvantage in some clothes (I simply don't fill them up) and heaven knows it makes bra shopping something akin to torture. On the other hand, it does give me the freedom to wear some clothes that my more zaftig sisters can't pull off, because I don't have to worry about configuring a support garment underneath them, or simply because without an overflowing décolletage the Cheap & Tacky Factor is greatly diminished.


So. Make your weakness your strength. Words to live by. I have great admiration for people who do this.

But.

Execution is key.




So. Is the follow-up to this lightning bolt of design brilliance making talking mouths around the gaps between shirt & pants that expose the ol' muffin top?

Thanks (-ish) to my buddy Bill for bringing this to my attention -- he said he feared my fashion education was incomplete until I'd viewed it.

Do note that this is idea is patent pending, so I don't want to hear about any of you copy-catting this.

I MEAN IT.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Susan B said...

Being unable to wear buttoned shirts without a strategically placed safety pin, I've always envied my small busted sisters. And what I wouldn't give to be able to wear one of my scarves as a top!

Those pants...Oy.

r r s said...

I hope my mother doesn't see those. She'll want some.

No, really.

*sigh*