Monday, February 26, 2007

The Needle and the Damage Done


Run, little one, run!! Before she sucks the youthful essence out of you!!!! She is eyeing your jugular hungrily!! RUUUUUUUUN!!!!




Run, Great One, run!! Before she sucks the youthful essence out of you!!!!! She is plotting how to dispose of your lifeless body even now!!! RUUUUUUUN!!!!!

Seriously -- Nicole Kidman now looks more like her own wax mannequin than herself.



Now that her husband has successfully completed rehab, perhaps she should also think about quitting the Botox cold turkey. There is no life left in this woman's face. She's a terrific actor whose work I've admired for years, but what is she doing to herself? Also -- whose eyebrows did she steal? Her brows shouldn't be that hard to do -- it's not like they're going to move while they're being worked on.

I did like this red Balenciaga dress, despite everyone's complaining about the bow at the neck, which I thought was lovely. But I hate that long, stick-straight hair arranged ever-so-carefully over one shoulder -- it's so mannered and artificial-looking. Kidman is a naturally curly redhead:



(Look! Look how pretty!)

and I don't understand this torturing curly hair into that flat lifeless sheet. (In the interest of full disclosure, I must iterate that I, too, am a Naturally Curly Girl, and it pains me to see my curly sisters deny their identities.) Nor do I understand why someone with her porcelain complexion would rather be a blonde than a redhead. But that's just me. (Who is, yes, a redhead.)

The hair thing, though, is really neither here nor there. What troubles me is this Michael Jackson-like progression toward a mask instead of a face. Last night, Kidman was surrounded by fantastic examples of what it means to grow older realistically yet beautifully (Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep, Diane Keaton -- all of whom looked like a million bucks, any of whom I'd like to look as good as right now) and I hope she took note of them. A gal could do a lot worse than this:


at any point in her life, famous or no. I totally want to be Helen Mirren when I grow up.


More about the (mostly yawny) fashion at the Oscars tomorrow. Stay tuned -- mud will be flung!


Photos: style.com, inetours.com, hissandpop.com, mirror.co.uk

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

La Mirren did look good, didn't she! And that little girl is awesome; haven't seen her movie but every time I see pictures she looks gorgeous and excited and adorably dressed without a hint of skank. And, although I'm not a red head, I agree that Nicole Kidman really ought to go back to her natural tones. She's so so gorgeous naturally; it's criminal that she should look as plastic as she does.