Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Customer Service Shout-Out

Swimsuits, as we know, are a problem. Unless you're built like Gisele Bundchen or some other fat-free Amazonian freak of nature, swimsuits are pretty much torture. The best solution I've come up with so far is this:




The board short. I do a board short with whatever top I can find that will actually stay on me in the water (not as easy as it sounds when you're as small-busted as I am) and I'm good to go. I like a board short because it's more modest than a bikini -- no one (including me) has to think think about my... er, "personal grooming" if I'm in a board short. They cover up all the bits of me that I don't particularly want to expose to the world and still look like a swimsuit. Trouble is, dingdong things are hard to find. So when I ran across this pair in black at my local Macy's last Saturday, I snapped 'em up, despite their $40 price tag which I frankly find exorbitant for a half-yard of nylon fabric, a couple of grommets and a shoelace.

Cruising through Macy's again yesterday (forgot to get underwear, dammit!), I noticed that there is now a bunch of happy red 50% Off signs plastered all over the swimwear section. So I snapped up the one other pair of black board shorts they had in my size and took them to the register. And I couldn't help it, I grumbled a bit to myself (and the SA ringing me up) about having bought them for full-price three days ago.

Well. The grumbling paid off, for once. Apparently, Macy's does price adjusts. If you buy something and within ten days it goes on sale, you can bring in said item with its tags and the store will refund you the difference! Woo-hoo!! So I did! And now I have two pairs of the elsuive board shorts for the price of one! Obviously, the Universe wants me to have them...

This may not be big news, some folks might already know about this, but it was a pleasant surprise to me. And now I'm wondering if there are any other retailers that make the same offer -- I'm guessing the larger department stores might all do it. Anyone know of any other places you can do this? Style Spy wants to know!


Don't forget to help out with Style Spy's World Fashion Domination challenge! Click here to find out how you can become eligible for a gift certificate!




Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Susan B said...

I think most retailers will do a price adjustment if an item goes on sale within 14 days of purchase. I know Banana Republic does, as well as Nordstrom and (I think) Bloomingdales. Our local pet supply store (Centinela Feed) will even honor a coupon on a past purchase if you bring it in within 10 days. For me though, it's a matter of remembering and having the time to backtrack.

Glad you got the discount on something you really wanted!

DS said...

Banana Republic and the Gap actually recently changed their price adjustment period from 14 days to 7. (i'm not sure what the deal is with Old Navy, but it'd probably be the same) (They also changed the return time from 90 days to 30 which just seems a little short for a non-boutiquey store to me)
Jcrew does price adjustments but only for full priced merchandise that goes on sale, i think within a week - maybe 14 days
Anthropologie does it in 14 days too
I know Target does it for online purchases - I think it's 10 days, but I'm not 100% on that - and I don't know the policy for the brick and mortar stores

Vera said...

I like the idea of a board short too. You're right, Gisele's body is not the norm but almost everything that is marketed out there is for women who share her proportions.

Alison said...

I have so been fretting about a swimsuit for this summer. My favorite swimsuit fit me 30lbs ago... I like the idea of the board shorts with maybe a tankini top, as I need some support up top. Thanks for the idea!

DS said...

also, for Banana, Gap, and Anthropoligie you don't need to bring the item back to the store for the price adjustment - just the receipt

StyleSpy said...

Deja & DS -- thanks for the deets! this is all great info to have!

Deep -- bonus on the board shorts is that you don't need a cover-up. They can go right from the lake to your favorite Mexican restaurant for post-swimming margaritas & you won't look ridiculous!

Alison -- we all fret over swimwear. Hope the shorts work for you!

Thumbelina Fashionista said...

So sad, but it's been a LONG time since I've actually worn a bathing suit. Hmmm....I REALLY hate exposing myself, so this is a good idea. Generally I only wear a suit when my husband is the only person nearby who actually knows me. (Is that pathetic?!)

vee said...

Thumbelina, I hate bathing suits, too. I don't think I can even pull of the board shorts, anymore.

But I do love sarongs. Too bad you can't swim in them!

littlemissme said...

Price adjustments: Most bigger places do them within a week or so.

Board shorts: Lucy Activewear has several different sorts also, but in a very specific color palette. You can also (Horror of horrors if you're over 21) buy them from places like PacSun. Even though it makes me feel old to go in there it's one of the best places to go for a big selection.

(I like retailing too, in case ya can't tell.) ;)