Friday, January 23, 2009

B*G

I am a silly woman. I know this, I understand this, and I trundle through life hoping that the rest of the world either doesn't clue in to my silliness or finds enough other redeeming qualities about me to overlook it. One aspect of my silliness is my (sometimes desperate) desire to appear sophisticated and worldly, chic and superior. I probably deprive myself of a lot of pop culture pleasures in order to maintain that facade. But every now & again something will worm its way into my consciousness and against my better judgment cause me to Lose. My. S**t.

And so we have my
Battlestar Galactica fixation. I'll spare you the rave and the proselytizing except to say that I promise it's much better than you think it is. And last Friday they finally, FINALLY started showing the concluding episodes of the series, after making us wait 34 years since the airing of the last episode. (Okay, not 34 years, but something like 18 months.) Now, if you trust my judgment (which would make your own questionable, probably, but whatever) and you want to check it out, you can watch episodes online or get the whole shebang (minus the current season, of course) at Amazon. I do heartily recommend.

One of the fun things about BStarG, as I like to call it, is its indeterminate time frame. It's kind of in the future, but maybe it's in the past -- its characters are humans but not from Earth, some characters are
like humans but not humans... it's all very ambiguous. Which fact is reflected in the costuming, which is a far cry from that 1960's super-mod spaceman view of science fiction wardrobes and more like subtle twists on clothes you could find on any real-life human here on our real-life planet. And that always appeals to me, as I think you know if you read this blog. I like things that are just a little off, clothing that subverts or surprises in some small way. So after I watched B*G last Friday, I started looking around for some things that struck me as vaguely Galactica-esque. Here's what I found.

Link Speaking of losing my... er, stuff, Alber Elbaz's Spring 2009 collection for Lanvin was dizzyingly wonderful. There's a bucket of it on Luisaviaroma.com

LANVIN - GAZAR TWISTED TOP

LANVIN - GAZAR TWISTED TOP

Fantastic. Utterly Fantastic.



LANVIN - TECHNICAL CREPE ZIP DRESS

LANVIN - TECHNICAL CREPE ZIP DRESS

Love this, although that hemline makes me a bit nervous. Methinks I would wear that over skinny pants, not as a dress. Skinny, skinny black ankle-length pants with my giant Marni platforms. Ooooooh, that would rock. Also, I wonder what "technical crepe" is. Is it different from regular crepe? Does it perform some technical function, like picking up radio signals? Are my crepe garments "non-technical"? Someone needs to clue me in on this.



LANVIN - LEOPARD WASHED GAZAR ONE SHOULDER DRESS

LANVIN - LEOPARD WASHED GAZAR ONE SHOULDER DRESS

Here's the original version of the dress Maggie Gyllenhaal wore to the Golden Globes. Because when you're Maggie Gyllenhaal and you ask a designer to change a dress for you, he does. ::sigh:: Must be nice. Alber, I'd happily wear it as is if you'd like to send me one like it. (Or anything else from the collection, really.)



LANVIN - SATIN OPEN SLEEVE TOP

LANVIN - SATIN OPEN SLEEVE TOP

So adore the casual luxe of this and the sexy sleeves that are fluttery but not twee. Gorgeous.


Can't say I'm usually a big one for Deisel, but this jacket?

DIESEL - FUNNEL COLLAR COATED LEATHER JACKET
DIESEL - FUNNEL COLLAR COATED LEATHER JACKET

Fan-freaking-tastic. I do not think I'd do it with those paper-baggie jeans. But imagine that with a high-waisted pencil skirt. (Like my cheetah print Kors number.) Yummy.


I never don't love Jil Sander. Raf Simons is a god among designers. I don't just (desperately, frantically, achingly) want to wear his clothes, I want to hang out with him.


JIL SANDER - TWEED ORIGAMI JACKET

JIL SANDER - TWEED ORIGAMI JACKET

This makes me dizzy. Possibly the only thing you couldn't wear with that is a wedding gown. Okay, it would depend on the gown. I'll bet I could find one.


JIL SANDER - RIBBED TURTLENECK SWEATER

JIL SANDER - RIBBED TURTLENECK SWEATER

The sleeves! I get so excited when I see a wide sleeve that doesn't scream "Renn-fest!!"



JIL SANDER - CASHGORA MELTON COAT

JIL SANDER - CASHGORA MELTON COAT

Oh, more dizzy. Oh, I have to put my head between my knees for a moment. Oh, my. (And how much do I love "cashgora"? I'm assuming it means a cashmere/angora blend, but Cashgora! In keeping with our theme, that sounds like a planet in a B*G galaxy. Planet Cashgora. A planet where I want to live. Everything is no doubt very, very soft there.)



All hail Yohji Yamamoto.
YOHJI YAMAMOTO - SOFT TWILL HOODED STOLE JACKET

YOHJI YAMAMOTO - SOFT TWILL HOODED STOLE JACKET

More than anyone, Yohji makes avant-garde elegant.



3.1 PHILLIP LIM - DRAPING FAN SATIN SKIRT

Magnificent skirt. This draping will help to camouflage bits you're not enthusiastic about, or conversely, help create some curves if you don't have any. Miraculous!



ALESSANDRO DELL'ACQUA - WRAP DOUCHESSE TOP

I don't have to explain why this is gorgeous, right? Some things are just true.



ANN DEMEULEMEESTER - MERINO AND ALPACA CARDIGAN SWEATER
ANN DEMEULEMEESTER - MERINO AND ALPACA CARDIGAN SWEATER

I feel I would be smarter if I wore this cardigan. Smarter, more conversant about Ingmar Bergman movies, speaking better French, and able to drink coffee after 11:00 a.m. without being up for the next three days. Attractive men in angular eyeglasses would want to stroll down the street with their arms around my waist, asking my opinion on literature and architecture and politics.


AQUASCUTUM - DIAGONAL BUTTON TRENCH COAT

OMIGOD, someone hand me my salts. This coat wants to come home with me so much.



DIANE VON FURSTENBERG - WRAP SATIN TOP

DIANE VON FURSTENBERG - WRAP SATIN TOP

Nice work from DVF. Love the color, love.




Kensie Short-Sleeved Lightweight Denim Dress

I love this, and I love that it's made of denim. If you feel it's a little young for you as shown, it would also be great belted over a narrow pair of pants, maybe even with a collared, long-sleeved shirt underneath. Sharp outfit for work.




Ben Sherman Chichester Check Coat

Ayayay! Fantastico checked coat with that great, slightly malformed collar. Love.



iconicon

I am kah-razy about this dress, and very unhappy that it comes in only gray (and a very bad gray for me) or black (I already have more than enough LBDs). Because that is damned nifty, and also? Really, really reasonable.


So. Next installment of BStarG airs tonight, so under no circs should any of you pester me between 9:00 and 10:00 pm CST. I mean it.



Unless you're calling to offer me that Cashgora coat. Then you can bother me.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Susan B said...

I'm with you on Battlestar Galactica. One of the best shows on TV. I love all of your selections here, yum!

dana said...

Brilliant fashion editing, as always, Style! This has modern cool down. I am all over that Lanvin. Unfortunately, my closet will never see the likes of that stuff.

Also, I must say, brilliant inauguration coverage. More than any I've seen. Brava!!

Anonymous said...

Dropping out of lurkerdom to say yes, BSG is remarkable, smart, and completely addictive. And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one to notice the clothes. Roslin's butterfly scarf in the Hub episode sent me on a feverish search for one just like it. How's that for silly? :)

The clothes you chose definitely have the BSG spirit.

Robo said...

I <3 BSG! Except I got into it late, so now I'm thoroughly confused, which means catching up on DVD at some point. All the fashions you featured would fit right in on any of the episodes. Actually, so would the grey denim jacket that will be part of Alexander McQueen's line for Tar-jay (I'm so getting it...come ooon March 1st!).

One thing thought..where do the people on the ships get their clothes from? Always wondered about the supply chain for a fleet in the middle of an interstellar journey cuz not like they've got replicators a la Star Trek. Sorry, end of ramble.

StyleSpy said...

Hooray! I'm not the only Fahionista/B*G geek! Thrilled to hear it!

Dana, thanks for compliments.

Robo -- it's occurred to me, as well. I once realized that no woman in that entire fleet of ships has been able to go shopping for four years now. Can you imagine?????

Deborah said...

I can't take a position one way or the other on Battlestar Galactica, because I've never seen it, but never call yourself "silly" because you avoid much of what passes for popular culture these days. Popular culture, after all, was essentially culture that was readily available to anyone; being popular did not mean a lack of sophistication. At one time, "popular culture" meant Cole Porter or Rodgers & Hart; it even meant Duke Ellington. Nowadays, it seems to mean Britney Spears. What woman of sense wants to be familiar with that?

Unknown said...

BSG is all kinds of awesome!