Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Coat of Magical Wonderfulness



I'm a bit of a political junkie. During the day, while I typety-type away on my computing machine looking for interesting things to show you, there's usually a 24-hour news channel on in the background (provided that I've already gotten through that day's NPR broadcast). I record two or three political news shows to watch every night, and all the Sunday morning ones to accompany my reading of the Sunday paper. So I see a lot of news, but very rarely does that stuff overlap with this stuff, the stuff you read here. Except that today I saw this:



Here's Hillary Rodham Clinton arriving in Japan on her first tour as the new US Secretary of State. It's cold in Japan in February, and windy, and when Secretary Clinton deplaned, the wind was blowing like crazy and revealed the amazing lining of this big black coat, which looks like kimono silk.

::thud::


When I saw that I said, "Ooooooooh..." It was my special Excellent Fashion Oooh, and I'm pretty sure it was the first time I've directed it at Hillary Clinton (I love ya, Hill, but... well... the pantsuits).


I would also like to add that Secretary Clinton should be required by law to wear that gorgeous blue next to her face all the time -- it looks fantastic on her.




(Pretty sure that's an Hermès plissé. Also -- cute shoes! Does the office of Secretary of State come with a stylist now?)

All in all, an excellent day for American diplomacy. And I wasn't the only one who thought so. Check out my girl Rachel Maddow losing her $%!& over the coat on her show Monday night:


(Just the first few minutes of the above video have to do with the coat, but Maddow came back to it yet again at the end of the following:


I've been feeling really good about being an American since November 4. I'm feeling even better about being an American Fashionista today.



Photos: AgenceFrance-Presse, zimbio.com

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Susan B said...

I'm dying here. O.M.G. I'm a sucker for kimono prints anyway, but that is just amazing. Love Maddow's take!

Duchesse said...

I noticed HC's new look too... I think she no longer has to appeal to every single American and is letting herself indulge in more obviously luxurious clothes.

dana said...

Given all that's happened since she conceded the race, I think Hillary is feeling pretty fine. And well she should. She looks fantastic, and I think she got the better (more interesting, less stressful) job.

Deborah said...

Magically wonderful, indeed. Where can I find one just like it?

Anonymous said...

to paraphrase Charlotte's Web, "Some Coat"!!