Saturday, February 7, 2009

Wherein Style Spy Apologizes for Being a Spoiled Brat


This is my closet. Well, it's one of my closets. There's another one with out-of-season clothes, exercise gear, socks, tights, underwear, jammies & the like. There's another one with coats & jackets. Not to mention the full-sized wardrobe filled with more shoes (mostly flats), bags, and scarves, and the six-drawer chest devoted exclusively to cashmere sweaters (except for one drawer that's full of perfume).

And what's even more amazing than all the clothing and accessories I have are the things I can
do in them. I can wear them to go dancing or running or biking, because my body is healthy and strong and does pretty much whatever I tell it to. I can wear them to vote or take part in a political rally, because I live in a democratic country where those activities are protected. I can put them on and go to the doctor, because I have health insurance that pays my excellent doctor to keep me well without fearing bankruptcy. I can get dressed up and meet my girlfriends for dinner, because in my town I can go out alone after dark without fear. I can sit in my fancy clothes and put my thoughts and ideas in this place on the web and for some reason, amazing people from all over the world will come and read them and interact with me, which is an amazing privilege and treat. And I can wear my clothes to spend time with my loved ones, all of whom, thank all the heavens, are well and safe.

And I have the nerve to whine about my No Buy??


None of those things is affected by a No Buy. So I need to suck it up and stop being such a big baby. I'd like to apologize to everyone who reads this blog, and to all my friends who've had to listen to me whinge, for being such an asshat. There are people with real problems in the world. Not being able to buy a new pair of Louboutins is not a real problem.





(Even if they're these Louboutins. GOOD googly-moogly.)

Perspective is important. Today's little re-boot was inspired by
this link that was sent to me by my darling friend Mags. (Go watch it, it's hilarious.) She didn't send it in that spirit, I don't think, but after I watched it, laughing and amen-ing like a church lady in a big hat, I got to thinking. I don't want to be one of those people he's talking about. I never want to forget to appreciate all the little miracles of my life.

I think tonight I'm going to come home, kiss the cat's tummy, put on some fabulous shoes, have myself a glass of wine and enjoy my life. Hope you get to do the same, in whatever way makes it work for you.


Photo: Style Spy




Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Claudia said...

great post, and great video! I just watched it twice and laughed really hard both times. Because that is ME! Especially the stuff about the phone.

I should get off this computer and go and take a walk.

You're not a spoiled brat, by the way. You're just very stylish :)

WendyB said...

You're on a "no buy" kick just to save up money for a WendyB piece, right? RIGHT? ;-)